The history of Hungarian deep drilling and of ROTARY Drilling Co. Ltd. goes back to 1935, when Standard Oil of New Jersey (now Exxon) acquired concession rights in Hungary and the first few drillings were completed. Hungarians were quick to learn drilling techniques from the Americans and, since then, have independently completed more than 3000 wells totalling 5.5 million metres in depth.
Thus ROTARY has acquired and developed a highly experienced (both in theory and in practice) team of engineers and skilled workers. The essential task from the company’s inception to the present day has been to provide the Hungarian oil industry with a first rate drilling capability.
For a prolonged period ROTARY worked only in its native Hungary. ROTARY entered the international market in 1970, when it began to work in the Rumaila Field in Iraq. Since then ROTARY has worked successfully in the snowy peaks of the Austrian Alps and in the hot desert regions of Libya, Abu Dhabi and Kuwait.
Success followed our move into the international arena when we were responsible for the extinguishing and capping of nine blowouts in Kuwait, in late 1991.
The latest major change took place on July 1st 1990, when ROTARY, with a new name, separated from KFV Oil and Gas Company with its own full staff and fleet of equipment.